Climbing / Mountaineering
Southern Utah is a paradise for climbers looking for challenging ascents on different rock colours amidst amazing scenery.
- The 2,200 feet high cliffs above the Virgin River in Zion require experience to tackle the big walls and cracks
- The most popular climbs in Capitol Reef National park are on the Wingate formation
- In Arches NP the west face of Dark Angel on Devil’s Tower is a classic route, established 40 years ago
Many visitors to Bryce Canyon National Park and Southern Utah choose to enjoy the stunning scenery by climbing it. Discover the challenges of canyon walls, plateaus, monoliths and hoodoos. There are many companies which rent out equipment and provide tours, making use of their extensive local knowledge.
Where to Go Rock Climbing
Zion is not the place for beginners with its 2,200 feet high cliffs above the Virgin River. These classic big wall climbs require crack-climbing skills and experience and offer excellent routes for experienced climbers.
The most popular climbs in Capitol Reef National Park are on the Wingate formation near the park’s scenic drive. There are some solid routes on the entrada sandstone but much is soft and loose. Capitol Roof on Cohab Canyon is a great climb.
Arches National Park
Although the sandstone natural arches are off limits to climbers, they are allowed to scale the sandstone towers, spires and walls within Arches National park, near Moab. There are several popular climbs on the entrada sandstone.
- Devil’s Tower - The west face of Dark Angel on Devil’s Tower is a classic route, established 40 years ago
- Owl Rock - Popular and relatively easy is the 100 foot high squat spire of Owl Rock
- Tonka Tower - This climb offers some crack climbing and an exciting mantle at the end
- Three Gossips and Three Penguins - Situated in the southwestern corner of Arches National Park, these peaks offer a choice of routes for the adventurous climber
Guided Tours and Rentals
There are several tour companies which offer half day and full day climbing excursions with expert tuition in climbing, canyoneering and abseiling. Checkout the outfitters below.
Share Your Thoughts
- Guides & Tours
- Hiking & Backpacking
- Horseback Riding
- Horse Pack Trips
- Wilderness Outfitters
- Motorcycle Tours
- Outdoor Rentals
- ATV / Offroad
- Golf Courses
- Fun For Kids
- Camping & RV