Bryce Canyon History & Museums: Parowan Utah Historic Museums

>
>

Parowan Historic Museums

The collection of Parowan Historic Museums jointly tell the rich history of the pioneering days in Parowan, affectionately known as the “Mother Town of Southern Utah” as it was the first place to be settled. Read More

  • The Jesse N. Smith Home Museum was the home of the famous pioneer, Jesse Smith, from 1857-1880
  • The Rock Church Museum was built in 1867 and now houses the Daughters of Utah Pioneer Museum
  • Guided tours can be taken of the Dr Priddy Meeks Cabin Museum, home of the first doctor to arrive in Southern Utah in 1865
  • Parowan Heritage Park marks the site of the first Parowan encampment established by Parley Pratt

Overview

The Parowan Historic Museums in the downtown area offer an interesting insight into the rich pioneering history of Parowan, including a family home, Dr Meeks’s museum, the Rock Church and the Heritage Park. These attractions are ideal for all ages to visit and appreciate local life in Parowan 150 years ago.

Jesse N. Smith Home Museum

Home of the Smith family from 1857-1880, this elegant red adobe house was restored in the 1970s. Jesse Smith later led a group of pioneers to Arizona. The Smith Family donated the home to be used as a museum.

  • Location and Information
    35 West 100 Street
    Parowan UT 84761
    Call: 435-477-3331
  • Entrance Hours
    Mon-Sat 1pm to 5pm
    Closed Sunday
    May 25 to Sept 3 only
  • Fees
    Free admission

Rock Church Museum

Built in 1867 and restored in the 1940s this lovely church building now houses the Daughters of Utah Pioneer Museum. Known as Parowan’s “Crown jewel”, the church balcony was a replica of the Salt Lake City Tabernacle. It has been used as a church, town hall, social meeting room and a tourist center. It is an ideal attraction for those interested in local history as it has a huge collection of photographs and artifacts of Pioneer history.

  • Location and Information
    Parowan Town Square on Main Street, opposite the Jesse Smith Museum, between Center and 100 South.
    Call: 435-477-3331
  • Entrance Hours
    Open by appointment
  • Fees
    Free admission

Dr Priddy Meeks Cabin Museum

This small log cabin home was built by Dr Meeks, the first doctor to arrive in Southern Utah, in 1865. He later moved to other settler communities before finally living in Orderville. Guided tours of the cabin, barn and farmstead are offered as restoration work continues.

  • Location and Information
    100 North 400 West
    Parowan
    Call: 435-477-8190
  • Entrance Hours
    Mon-Sat 1pm to 5pm
    Closed Sunday
    May 25 to Sept 3 only
  • Fees
    Free admission

Parowan Heritage Park

The Heritage Park was established in 1996 on the site where Parley P. Pratt and his team set up camp in 1850 whilst searching for potential land for pioneer settlements. They erected a flagpole and dedicated the area of Parowan as a starting place for colonization. The Parowan settlement went on to support more pioneers who traveled south, building other communities. The park features a natural spring, bronze monuments and statues with interpretive plaques to explain the history of Iron County and the pioneer settlers.

  • Location and Information
    300 S. Main Street, Parowan
    Call: 435-477-8190
  • Entrance Hours
    8am to 10pm daily