- Tropic Reservoir is a small but very scenic lake of 180 acres at an elevation of 7,835 feet
- Under-the-Rim overnight hiking trail runs for 23 miles through Bryce National Park
- Paunsaugunt ATV Trail runs for 75 miles from Tropic Reservoir with various loops
- King Creek Campground has 19 sites for tents and RVs from $8. Reservations: 1-877-444-6777
Tropic Reservoir is a small but very scenic lake of 180 acres which is popular for fishing, boating, hiking and camping. It is the trailhead for the Paunsaugunt Trail at an elevation of 7,835 feet.
Location and Information
Tropic Reservoir Utah is 25 miles southeast of Panguitch near the East Fork of the Sevier River. From Panguitch, travel south on Hwy 89 then east on Hwy 12 to Bryce Canyon Road. Follow the dirt road (Forest Road 087) for 8 miles south along the East Fork of the Sevier River and the edge of Bryce Canyon National Park to Tropic Reservoir.
- Dixie National Forest - Powell Ranger District: 435-676-9300
- Swamp Canyon Connecting Trail
Connects Under the rim Trail near Swamp Canyon Butte to Right Fork Swamp Canyon Campground
Descends 500 feet
- Under-the-Rim Hiking trail
Trailhead Bryce Point to Rainbow Point
23 miles through Bryce National Park
1500 feet elevation
Spectacular rock formations and hoodoos
Hiking/ATV Trail - Paunsaugunt Trail
- Trailhead Tropic Reservoir
- 20-75 miles
- 7,880 to 9,200 feet
- Views of Pink Cliffs, Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument and Kaibab Plateau
There is a paved boat ramp at the campground. The reservoir is suitable for small boats and kayaks.
Small to medium brown trout and rainbow trout are abundant in the reservoir along with brown trout and cutthroat trout. Fishing is good from the shore or boat.
Tropic Reservoir is one of Utah’s best bird watching sites for spotting waterfowl and songbirds. Clark’s Grebe, bald eagle, prairie falcon, nuthatches and many species of flycatcher can all be seen in the area.
Campgrounds - King Creek Campground
- Next to Tropic Reservoir
- 19 sites for tents and RVs
- Open mid-May to early September
- Flush toilets, Fire rings, picnic tables, paved sidewalks and graveled spurs
- From $8
- Reservations: 1-877-444-6777